Sunday, October 28, 2007

Lainya

OK, back to some form of normalcy...sorry for the delay in posts, but the past 14 days have been...in a word, intense. I'm beginning to feel a bit more comfortable in my position with S.P. but, gaaalll lllley was I thrown right in the fire. Andrew (the previous fiance guy), left shortly after my arrival, and if things weren't already in disarray, they certainly were a few days after I took over. Second week away from Mommy, and suddenly one day I feel a bit warm. Mind you, this is a day after I signed off on ALL the finances. I was leaving the office to meet everyone for lunch when the nurse spotted me...an hour later I'm in bed with a 102.9 degree temperature. No malaria but it might as well of been. So, needless to say for the past 14 days I've been learning how to convert and run 3 currencies, speak Arabic, tribal, and sign language (mostly how I communicate...), and keep this machine of an operation...operational. WOW! What an amazing work God has allowed me to join in on! He never gives you too much, but what I've learned is He gives you just enough to NEED His help. Thank you for that Lord. Anyhow, my health has improved (still can't shake the allergies), and I'm growing more comfortable each day I'm in Africa...thanks for every one's prayers.
OK, what I did today, then some funny stories. We left the compound at 8am this morning and drove two and a half hours over the worst terrain possible, with the worst shocks you can image, to a Church opening in Lainya (just NW of Yei). For those who don't know, the mission of Samaritan's Purse in South Sudan is to rebuild every Christian church that was destroyed during the south's war with the northern government (the Peace agreement that ceased hostilities looks shakier as each week passes...please pray). The operation has now rebuilt over 50 churches, but the model is in place and we are really hitting stride! Anyhow, back to today's adventure.
We showed up to the church dedication at 10:15 and immediately the festivities began. I was the volunteer cameraman for the day (thanks for the skills mom...), so pretty much had free roam throughout the service and dedication. I never realized how valuable this would turn out to be(a little frightening too)! Well, the service started at 11 and ended....OH, I don't know, maybe around 4:30. This is over 5 hours of sitting in a hot South Sudan Church listening to every bishop, and community leader, and government official, and layperson, and special guest, and billy-bob speak about...well, something in Juba-Arabic. The really cool part....they REALLY love the Lord, and 2.) They break out in song and dance every-time the wind blows...or the Holy-Spirit. Really very, very cool to be a part of. I've now been able to worship with Russian and Sudanese believers in their environment. Anyhow, as much as I loved the worship marathon, I used my privilege to sneak in and out to go play with the kids running around outside. I think they got a bigger kick out of me than I got outta them. Took a while for them to warm up, but they absolutely adored the camera and once I started acting goofy, they let loose. Kids are really the same no matter where in the world they were created! To wrap this up, we had a nice dinner after the service in a straw tukkel (hut), which consist of....you guessed it, goat and liver. This was actually a beautiful meal, I just can't get use to goat! I just think the smell of cooked goat, plus how ugly goats are alive....deadly combo for me, complete dealbreaker :) I've got some great shots of the women preparing the meal outside (indoor kitchens are unheard of), gotta somehow download pictures on this site. Well, the day was amazing and what a cultural experience. I just keep remembering how God has ordained every step of this journey and what an adventure He is bringing me through with HIM!
OH, almost forgot. I accidentally (wink-wink) took a picture of a government officer (big no-no) while journaling the dedication. Half-hour later I see two army men in full garb calling me out of the church...with very serious looks on their faces. I stumbled and stammered but couldn't get through the people while the service was in full swing. I acted as if I was sorry and took my seat...eyes straight ahead! Well, the rest of the service the camera was off and I stuck as close as possible to the Bishop the last hour of the day. I gotta be honest on this one...i tinkled a little...not. OK, I always ruin it at the end. I love you all so much...keep prayin'! 1 Tim. 1:10
joey

9 comments:

Joel.de.Sousa said...

I love it! Joey i miss ya and cant wait for your arrival back here. May God bless you in all ways possible. Keep taking pictures( exspecially of the officers) wink wink. And everyone here miss you.
Love ya buddy, Joel

Novella said...

HEY U!! Glad to hear you aren't getting into trouble?! Sounds like you had fun with the kids, and I have no doubt you fit right in...you've always been a kid at heart! ;) ha!! Im praying for you always, and I miss you LIKE TONS!!~ Love ya, Vella :)

WhiteBoy said...

Joe Dizzle my nizzle,
Im so encouraged of your testimony. It makes want to do something ridicle for the Lord. I will continue to pray for you and the peace for sudan. I also read today that peace negotiations are not going well but the US is over there trying to give free healtcare incentives and money for peace. There are even talks about spliting the country. Dude! you are in the middle of some world changing things. That is awesome. Proverbs 3:5-6,II Corinthians 12:10.

Paula said...

Son, what a journey God has you on! I can't wait to see the pictures you took, I know you have an eye for photography, that was evident in your Russia pictures. Great talking to you yesterday on skype, the connection was so clear. We continue in prayer for you and the entire SP ministry. God will be Glorified, hallelujah.
Take great care and stay in The Word. We love and miss you son
Mom

Unknown said...

We miss you Joey , YOur awseome man : )

Richard said...

Hey Buddy,
You are in my prayers...May God keep you in the palm of His hand.
God Bless,
Richard

Margie said...

Wow, Joe, God has you on quite an adventure! I'm encouraged to hear all that God is teaching you there. Keep feeding on the Word!! Psalm 73:26- My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 91!! Praying for you bro!

Paula said...

Joey, we miss you & are thankful your feeling better. On to the next Church dedication...hallelujah
Mom

lamar said...

hey joe. whats up? just wanted to say hi. we miss you out there coaching. I'll keep you posted on the season. just wanted to say happy thanksgiving, and we miss you. fsu & florida play nov. 24th. i'll be watching it. holla back

lamar & dayna