Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Freedom!!

Independence! Today is the Ugandan independence day. We're only a few miles from the border so it was a big day in Yei. There's also a large group of Ugandans that works for Samaritan's Purse on this project in South Sudan. (The area is so poor and war-torn for so long that any sort of skilled labor is nonexistent, thus Ugandan and Kenyan workers fill most all skill positions). Anyhow, Yei had an all day celebration commemorating the occasion, capped by a highly competitive, once a year soccer match between the New (S) Sudan and Ugandan teams. A Ugandan friend, Andrew, who turns out was the primary striker for the Ugandan team, invited me...I couldn't miss this! My first real adventure in town was unforgettable! I was dropped off by a 4-wheeler (quad) into Freedom Square (the center of town) where there is a regulation soccer field...ok maybe not regulation. The field was all murram (like a mix between gravel and clay), no grass at all, bumps and ruts comprised the terrain (mostly from washout and vehicles) with between 5-7,000 Sudanese surrounding the playing area. It was nuts!! The feeling was intense walking into downtown, looking for my Ugandan friends as the only westerner among thousands of natives...needless to say, I didn't find them, they found me..HA.
6'4 with a bright red jacket with the words "EVERYONE LOOK AT ME!!" written across my chest. Actually, in 15 minutes I felt perfectly fine. Anyhow, back to whats important...the game was incredible, the energy was electric. A few minutes in I was hooked....OK, I'll publicly admit it...I now like soccer. Now, I feel much better. Uganda dominated the first half but only led 1-0 at intermission. Second half was all New Sudan. They scored an incredible goal following an acrobatic bicycle kick pass that sent the place bananas. 3 minutes later Sudan scored another improbable goal...but...offsides! Now, the place really went wild; people flooded the field, a dog was running around nipping at people, guns were going off (OK, not really any guns) but you get the point....bonkers is the only word to do the atmosphere justice. Well, the game ended in a 1 all tie, which was probably the best result for civility. Andrew played very well although not too many scoring chances. Left just in time to get back before dark, probably a good call on such a night....Anyhow, miss u all. Keep Praying HARD! Love me.

14 comments:

Novella said...

Hey U! Sounds like the soccer game was a fun experience; glad there really WASN'T any gun shots; that's soo not funny by the way! ;)(And i bet your mamma will agree with me!) HEY, u are gonna be great in all u do...you always are b/c u allow the Lord to use u! Be SAFE, have FUN, and im PRAYing for u always! mis u crazy! :) mwha!~
Luv,
vella

Youth Missions and Outreach said...

Hi Joe
You would have missed all these adventure if you have not taken that step to journey with the LORD. It is life changing to you now, and in years to come, life changing to many. Bel

Paula said...

Hi son, Vella is so right about the guns going off...sooo not funny! When I ship your other backpack I'll deflate a couple of soccer balls and send them along to you. Great sport to get a game up with the kids there..."Coach Joe in Sudan" I love it!
Dad & I are in prayer continually for you and the entire SP team.
Stay in The Word
We love and miss you!

Unknown said...

JOEY !!!!! I miss ya man !!!! Soccer rules im so excited to hear your doing better and are having a blast .....Its just not the same without you here...Our group is empty : ( ..luv ya Praying for ya

Candy said...

Morning Joey ! I just received a call from our customer in Ghana ... and it reminded me of YOU ... pray you are feeling better. Jon and Ashley had a baby boy on 9/26 ... Ian Scott Kelley and he's a cutie pie ! I will see your Mom and Aunt Patti and Aunt Debby in Orlando in a couple of weeks for a girls weekend !!! FUN, FUN, and more FUN
Love you and I pray The Blood of Jesus over you ...
Aunt Can

Richard said...

Hi Joe,
The soccer game sounded exciting... any table tennis.... I keep you in my prayers.... Paul & Marcia said they were sorry they missed you but maybe another time... They are returning to the states in January for a few months... Take care & God Bless
Richard

WhiteBoy said...

Joe Wilson...gooooooaaaaaal..I finally found your blogspot. You know sean. He gave me a few wrong http addresses. The stories have just begun I see. I hope your journaling because I can't wait to see what God has done when your year is up. I have the radio station here praying for you on the show "battleground." So thats Chicago and Indiana praying for your well being. Let me know if I can do anything for you my man. Ill be praying for ya.
SIR Whiteness aka Whiteboy

PS
Dont forget that Mike Manning is WEIRD. No one else will get that joke reading this but you..lol

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday big boy im praying for you and hope you have a wonderful day !!! although we are not there in person we are there in pray and spirit with you make it a great birthday and continue to change the lives around you .....luv ya dani

Novella said...

I know i've said it LIKE TONS ;) already...but HAPPY 26th BIRTHDAY!:) have fun...mis u joey!
26 BABY...ya u know ;) mwha!
luv u,
vel

Aunt Pat said...

Happy Birthday Joey
I love you and miss you
Blessings today in Jesus' name
Aunt Pat

WhiteBoy said...

Happy Birthday JOE...I hope you have a great birthday. I thought this verse would be encouraging. Luk 18:29 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,
Luk 18:30 Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

Candy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU !!!
WHAT A GREAT DAY TO BE BORN ... THIS DAY WAS PICKED ESPECIALLY FOR YOU BY GOD ... AND HE KNEW EXACTLY WHERE YOU WOULD BE TODAY !!!
IT IS SO EXCITING TO SERVE A LIVING GOD ...
KNOW YOU ARE LOVED AND MISSED ...
XOXOX

Paula said...

Happy Birthday Son!
We love and miss you
Dad & Mom

Franke said...

Hey I posted this to the wrong page... "getting older" much. Still don't know how to work bloggs and myspace. haha Anyway!!! Merry Christmas, Joey. may God fill you with more His "everything" for the new coming year. Your the best of the best!!!

Franke said...
Joey... how i love and miss you my young faithful brother...ohhhh what tears you bring to my eyes and what life you bring to the scriptures as I read about and think of you.
PS 42:1 As the deer pants for the water brooks,So pants my soul for You, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?

I take great joy in calling you friend. May God bless and comfort you with the richness of His presence.

December 19, 2007 8:08 PM