Thursday, December 13, 2007

Random thoughts...

Friends, just some random observations for your enjoyment...

  • Sudan is hot...go figure
  • Contrary to my belief, Volleyball is the most popular sport in Yei. I play at a court very close to SP's compound and the competition is Amazing...6'5 small forwards galore
  • The roads are "Not OK"
  • As a whole, the people are incredibly friendly. Very different from Russia
  • Women really DO carry everything on their heads, no neck rings though..sorry Lee
  • it's snake season
  • All our engineers are Kenyan, all carpenters Ugandan. Sudanese love driving and mechanics..and volleyball
  • Tim Tebow won the Heisman
  • the faith of the believers here is remarkable. we truly do worship the God of ALL
  • mom hold on...there's a bad Ebola outbreak in northern Uganda
  • River water tastes like liquorice and makes my stomach feel mushy
  • 4-wheelers are fun
  • Orphans are God's gift to whoever gets to experience them..not hard to fall in love
  • Goat tastes bad
  • the bananas here are so sweet. Great dietary substitute when goat is served
  • Rice and beans every meal. by the way, no refrigeration so the meat has extra juices
  • the only way to describe downtown Yei; An old western town you see in the movies after 20 years of neglect
  • no such thing as a trash can in Yei
  • USD, aside from Ugandan Shillings, is the only currency exchanged here. Take that Europe!
  • I'm going to cape town in 7 days!!!! Cheese with every meal!
  • I know I said this, but the people I've met have been the best part. It's funny how you can become such great friends with people in such small capsules of time, then in the blink of an eye...life moves on
  • I miss all the people I Love, my grandpa especially...tell him I said that if you see him
  • I miss my baby
  • Ugandans have a funny way of speaking English...they'll phrase a statement in question form, then emphatically answer their own question/statement. If I ever start talking like that, do what?...Make me stop!
  • I now know what a 70 hour work week feels like
  • gunshots at night are not uncommon
  • Grace changes your perspective
  • the cultural divide is great...however, people are people
  • I miss Calvary dearly
  • My dad is smarter than I ever gave him credit...mom and dad seem to get wiser the older I get...is that a coincidence?

Well, just some thoughts I though you'd enjoy. Overall I doing great, the allergies have ceased and the food no longer does funny things with my insides. I'll be traveling to Cape Town, South Africa for Christmas so eat your hearts out..you got Thanksgiving but I got Christmas. hopefully I can get a burger there, oh and a milkshake...umm, chocolate too. I forgot what milk even taste like. ok this is the point I cut myself off..Love you all, God is Good!

signing off, Joey-bag

18 comments:

Novella said...

HEY crazy...your blog is really good; very informative! The fact that gunshots are not uncommon is always comforting! :P Im glad you are doing so good, it makes me happy! I can't wait to hear all about Cape Town and the FOOD! ;) By the way, thanks for my beautiful flowers...I loved them! :) Im praying for you always, and hey I MISS YOU too, so much! Luv u ~vella~ Philipians 1:3-11

Paula said...

A few random thoughts of my own:

Did you say it's snake season?
And what was that about Ebola?
How would you know what the river water taste like???
Meat with extra juices?
Are you confusing gunshots with fireworks?

Here's what I know:

God is able
His strength is sufficient
He is faithful & true
Everything is Father filtered
His Grace and Mercy is new everyday.

We love and miss you son...press on friend...We continue in prayer for you and SP Ministry.

GOD WILL BE GLORIFIED

Merry Christmas son, God Bless you and stay in the Word.
Mom

Paula said...

P.S.
Sorry Dani...Hi Vella :)

Unknown said...

SEE, I've been telling you how smart I was :) a little brain washing, ie; those nightly whispered reminders as you slept. thousands of miles of seperation, months of a diet of goat meat and beans,a few bouts of 103 degree temperatures and those things that come with it and you come to your senses. :) Love you son, God Bless You, and all you do, for the Glory of God. You are a Blessing to all that know and love you. We miss you, have a great r&r in capetown. go easy on the new diet the first coule of days, (more of pops wisdom).. In Jesus Name, Dad.

Aunt Pat said...

Hi Joey,
It was comforting reading your blog....Not :)
snakes,
eboli,
gunshots,
and didn't I tell you not to drink the water.
God has you on an incredible adventure and I thank Him for watching over you. Have a wonderful time in South Africa....we'll miss you this Christmas
I love you Joey, take care of yourself
Aunt Pat

Candy said...

Oh Sweet Boy .... was I suppose to laugh or cry ... I am doing both after reading your blog ...
Uncle Mike has received an invition to go to Nigeria (lol) ...
I will let him read your blog before he decides ...
I love you ... God watch over you and protect you from EVERYTHING !!!
Love,
Aunt Candy

WhiteBoy said...

Joey...I told you cape town is where it is at. You'll feel almost like home there..Eat a a big mac and large fry for me...don't forget the their sundae for dessert..mmmm..
"McDonald's opens in South Africa. McDonald's South Africa opened recently to the cheers of thousands in the South African cities of Caps Town and Johannesburg. "This is an exciting time for South Africa and for McDonald's," explained Managing Director Carter Drew, a 16-year company veteran who now leads the South Africa operation. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5091/is_199601/ai_n18516672

WhiteBoy said...

PS: In my studies, ive learned that you should definately stay away from anyone with eboli, it will give you more then a stomach ache...lol
Deu 31:6

Anonymous said...

Joey who is the baby you miss? That is a random thought that is open for interpretation. Is it Amber or is it Umbrella? Do you want us to pack up Amber and bring her with us? I just have to get her registered. "You've already adjusted to the Sudanese food so ease yourself into the change of food in SA, if you thought your insides were explosive when you got there it's even worse when you switch back to American food." (anonymous)The search for the neck ringed women will go on!

James Holder said...

you da' man...or at least you know da' Man...and da' Man loves you!

Grace does change your perspective doesn't it!?

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hey General!!!!

It's me !!!

*Native American/Civil War Confederate Rebel War-yell*

Wow, I'm so amazed to hear how You are so "blessed" with financial responsibilities along with learning sub-Saharan dialects of Arabic. Man, You'll be in my prayers more often.
Sad to hear how bad the goat meat is to your stomach.
If the meat I have could keep for an international air frieght travel, I'd send you over some of my wild Florida hog I killed recently; it tastes 95% like butcher-shop, farm-raised pork.

If you need some dry goods, post a list & I'll see if I can ship you a package, cause YOU deserve it, General!!!

Agape in the Lord's Family,
Jonathan Deeb

carin said...

Hey JoeMama hows it going buddy? hope you have a wonderful Christmas we miss you lots just had Dinner the six of us and we were missing your presence...Lee sure did wanted you to be there to help him make FUN of me !!!but anywho have a blast you are always in our prayers.......

P.S. Paula & Vella i let you guys go first this time i felt kinda bad always being the first to write lol : ) luv you guys

Unknown said...

Sorry to get your hopes up, but that last comment wasn't carin. It was just me, dani, but maybe one day SOON! ;) haha mis u and vella loves you! love, DANI

Richard said...

Merry Christmas Too Tall,
You have a wonderful way of expressing yourself... I really enjoy your blog.... When there is shooting, don't be Too Tall be Low... That was one of my father's nicknames; He was 5'2"... Anyway, take good care of yourself and enjoy Cape Town...
Love,
Richard

Novella said...

MARY CHRISTMAS JOEY...don't forget what NEW YEARS MEANS! ;) haha Hope you are enjoying the sun in Cape Town! I mis u so much! Have fun :) Luv ya ~vella~

Franke said...

Franke said...
Hey I posted this to the wrong page... "getting older" much. Still don't know how to work bloggs and myspace. haha Anyway!!! Merry Christmas, Joey. may God fill you with more His "everything" for the new coming year. Your the best of the best!!!

Franke said...
Joey... how i love and miss you my young faithful brother...ohhhh what tears you bring to my eyes and what life you bring to the scriptures as I read about and think of you.
PS 42:1 As the deer pants for the water brooks,So pants my soul for You, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?

I take great joy in calling you friend. May God bless and comfort you with the richness of His presence.

December 19, 2007 8:08 PM

December 26, 2007 8:45 PM

Franke said...

Wow...i'm almost getting the hang of this blogging stuff...crazy huh!!!...LOL

Anonymous said...

Hey Joey!
We have been praying for you since you left in the fall! Your experience is amazing... however I don't think I could survive there -goat just doesn't sound appealing in any way to a vegetarian like me! But those bananas sound great!
It is true - God provides just enough for us to NEED Him. Keep pressing on and stay safe in His care! Jenean & Ed